[Qgis-user] columns in spatialite

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Nov 12 10:37:37 PST 2015

Le jeudi 12 novembre 2015 19:25:20, Alex M a écrit :
> SQLite stores the geometries differently than Spatialite.
> http://www.gdal.org/drv_sqlite.html
> FORMAivT=WKB/WKT/SPATIALITE
>
> Biggest side effect I can think of is that you can't use the spatialite
> query mechanisms on WKB/WKT without converting. Which includes spatial
> indexes (not sure anything in QGIS utilizes these currently). I'm also
> not sure that SQLite files via OGR are even editable (never tried). If I
> recall QGIS has a spatialite driver built in and does not use the OGR
> one in order to access more of the features.

The OGR spatialite driver has editing capabilities (when linked against
libspatialite, otherwise read-only), as well as use of spatial indices. I'm
not sure which capabilities the QGIS builtin spatialite driver would have in
addition. I guess the existence of both is more due to historical reasons than
technical ones.

http://www.spatialys.com