[Qgis-user] Creating Geometries for tabular data

Martin Bain Martin.Bain at lismore.nsw.gov.au
Sun Nov 15 15:22:04 PST 2015

Hi,
I'm after your suggestions for the best work flow for adding spatial data to existing tabular data.
Say we have a tabular list of playground equipment - I want to associate a point object with each row in the list - so I end up with spatial and attribute data in the one table.

I used to do this in MapInfo, you could open a table of purely tabular data, select a row in the attribute table, adding a point in the map window would create a map object for the selected row (rather than adding a whole new row to the table).  I don't think I can do it like that with QGIS - am I right in thinking if there is no geometry for a row it will be excluded from the attribute table?

How do people do this in QGIS?

Thanks,
Martin.

This email is intended for the named recipient only.  The information it contains may be confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not reproduce or distribute any part of this email, disclose its contents to any other party or take any action in reliance on it.  If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the message.