[Qgis-user] Degradation of imported image quality

simonc8 simoncrombie at onetel.com
Mon Nov 16 04:02:26 PST 2015

I asked this in a different thread which (very usefully) went off the topic,
so I'm starting this new thread.

I had tried importing an index map as an image into Print Composer (before
realising how much better it was to generate an Overview map.) I noticed
that the quality of the image was considerably degraded after import into
Print Composer and subsequent export into another image. The two examples
are the original image and a segment of the exported Print Composer image.
The size of the object in Print Composer is exactly 0.9 of the original
image, and this resizing seems to be the reason for the loss of quality,
because if I imported the image into Print Composer at 100% size the
degradation is much less.

Index_map_image.png
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5236603/Index_map_image.png>
Index_map_via_Print_Composer.png
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5236603/Index_map_via_Print_Composer.png>

The question is - is there a way to control the quality of an image imported
into Print Composer where a degree of resizing is involved? Does QGIS have a
better resampling option?

Grateful for advice.