[Qgis-user] Creating Geometries for tabular data

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Nov 16 11:59:27 PST 2015

I use the process on a postgis DB, but Shapefiles are also capable of
having tabular data without geometries attached.
However I do not know how you would create such a file (easily) from an
existing geometry-less layer.

Maybe something like this:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/327/how-can-i-convert-an-excel-file-with-x-y-columns-to-a-shapefile

Or try with adding a dummy geometry column in a csv so it loads as
points and then save as shapefile.

Best,
Matthias

On 11/16/2015 03:00 PM, DelazJ wrote:
> Hi,
> Matthias, what kind of format can this file be?
> This is not the first time I see MapInfo user asking about this
> feature. I personnaly had last week to add geometries to features that
> were in a tabular file (csv) and couldn't find how to do this except
> giving an unique ID to the table data, and in another shapefile
> digitizing, filling ID after each drawing and, at the end joining
> layers. It was possible because there was not so many features but
> it's unfriendly.
> I thought I could save the csv into shapefile (even empty)  and
> proceed with the "add part" tool but "saving as" failed.
> It would be nice if we could find a way to address this "issue"...

> <mailto:matthias at opengis.ch>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     IIRC you can use the "add part" tool to create geometries for existing
>     objects. Just use the attribute table to select the proper object and
>     then digitize with the add part tool. Of course the selected layer has
>     to be capable of saving geomtries in the format you like (i.e. you
>     cannot geometrizise an excel table).
>
>     Cheers,
>     Matthias

Matthias Kuhn
OPENGIS.ch - https://www.opengis.ch
Spatial • (Q)GIS • PostGIS • Open Source