[Qgis-user] SRTM-plug-in?

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Nov 19 09:25:16 PST 2015

On 11/18/2015 10:21 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Il 18/11/2015 19:44, Alex M ha scritto:
>> On 11/18/2015 06:14 AM, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> there once was a plug-in in the repository, that downloaded SRTM-DEM
>
>> Did the plugin do 30m or 90m SRTM?
>
> Hi all,
> agreed, it would be good to have it back. BTW, there is a growing number
> of plugins dowloading data (e.g. from NASA, from FAO, etc.). it would be
> good to have a general framework where a single service could be plugged
> in, instead of developing over and over very similar stuff.
> Any interested dev?
> All the best.

A framework for the common parts would be nice, or an easily clone-able
basic plugin that just needs a specialized function to each service.

Of course, this is kind of the point of CSW, WCS and WFS standards. And
we really should encourage the use of standards.

This idea is similar to the getData function of the Raster package in R:
http://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/raster/functions/getData

Which does include the 90m SRTM already processed (CGIAR version
http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/)

I'd be interested in moving this discussion to the developer list and
participating. I'm involved with the management of the data for the
above mentioned R function.

Thanks,
Alex