[Qgis-user] Handling large datasets in 2.10.1

Niccolo' Marchi sciurusurbanus at hotmail.it
Wed Oct 14 07:40:26 PDT 2015

Hi all,
can anyone explain to me how QGIS handles large datasets (both raster
and vector)? I mean: is there a "limit" connected to the SW or other?

I had very slow responses (a matter of hours) in two cases: clipping
some UAV images bigger than 1Gb (5cm resolution, 112ha) and merging all
the features of a shapefile (53000 geometries, almost 350Mb).

This happened on a laptop (dual core 1,7 GHz, 8Gb RAM) and on a
workstation (quad core 2,13 GHz, 12 Gb RAM)...and I solved quite easily
with ArcMap :/

any hint?

All the best!

Nic