[Qgis-user] iGIS point shapefiles - exporting back to QGIS

Damien Stephens Damien.Stephens at sandfire.com.au
Sun Oct 18 18:02:08 PDT 2015

HI Jan.
What is happening is that the coords in the shape file that you can see in the attributes table are just copies of the actual coords used to display the data.

It is simple to update these coords from the underlying data.
In qgis,
1.  open the attribute table for your shapefile.
2. Make it editable.
3. select the field calc button (looks like an abacus)
4. check the "update existing field" box
5. choose your longitude or easting field that you want updated  in the dropdown below.
6. in the functions box  select geometry -  $x and double click . it will appear in the expression box.
7. hit ok - warning this will overwrite the whole field with the latitude /easting depending on what you have you coordinate system set to.
Check that this is what you wanted and  do the same for latitude/northing using $y.

It sounds tricky, but is a very simple and quick process once you get the hang of it.

I am not sure if IGIS records the elevation, so this might be slightly more difficult to do.
Cheers
Damien