[Qgis-user] QGIS hardware recommendations?

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Mon Oct 19 11:57:02 PDT 2015

Hi,

We are building new (Windows 10) computers for QGIS and I was wondering if there is any new hardware consideration to think of? I don't want a gamer style debate on Intel vs AMD or nvidia vs ATI but I am wondering if the QGIS CODE is evolving toward a better support of things like nvidia's Cuda support for calculations or rendering.

First off for CPU we are considering the latest i7 on the z170 or X99 chipsets. (We are not looking at zeon's for now. These are desktop and not workstations.) I know the differences between both chipsets so no comments are needed here.

Any reason we should go with AMD (apart from the fact that they have more core (currently slower) which could help in muti-threaded  rendering).  Is there an advantage, code wise, to using amd64 cpu's?

Video cards: any nvidia Cuda support in the planning?  Has anything been optimized for AMD/ATI or NDVIA?  Should I be looking for a particular version of OpenGL or DirectX? (I guess QGIS uses OpenGL???) How about when we use GLobe or Qgis2threejs?  Any future consideration needed?

Memory wise, we will get as much as the budget allows...

Thanks for any comments.  Again, I am looking for comments more from a QGIS CODE perspective and future orientations, not a gamer hardware perspective.

Cheers!

Nicolas

Nicolas Cadieux M.Sc.
Les Entreprises Archéotec inc.
8548, rue Saint-Denis Montréal H2P 2H2
Téléphone: 514.381.5112  Fax: 514.381.4995
www.archeotec.ca