[Qgis-user] Fwd: QGIS hardware recommendations?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Oct 21 08:09:38 PDT 2015

On 10/21/2015 07:55 AM, Nicolas Cadieux wrote:
> Hi,
> I think this message never made it to the server.  Apologies if it did.
>
> Nicolas Cadieux M.Sc.

Get an SSD for holding datasets and databases while working with them.

>> First off for CPU we are considering the latest i7 on the z170 or X99 chipsets. (We are not looking at zeon's for now. These are desktop and not workstations.) I know the differences between both chipsets so no comments are needed here.
>>
>> Any reason we should go with AMD (apart from the fact that they have more core (currently slower) which could help in muti-threaded  rendering).  Is there an advantage, code wise, to using amd64 cpu's?

Nope, most GIS is still primarily single threaded so an i7 would perform
better.

>> Video cards: any nvidia Cuda support in the planning?  Has anything been optimized for AMD/ATI or NDVIA?  Should I be looking for a particular version of OpenGL or DirectX? (I guess QGIS uses OpenGL???) How about when we use GLobe or Qgis2threejs?  Any future consideration needed?

Not that I've seen actually come forward. Maybe for the 3D stuff there
might be something, look more into WebGL and 3js recommendations. I
don't think favoring a particular gpu would be helpful to the general
QGIS audience.

>> Memory wise, we will get as much as the budget allows...

+1 , of course with the chipsets you're picking I think that maxes at 32 GB.

>> Thanks for any comments.  Again, I am looking for comments more from a QGIS CODE perspective and future orientations, not a gamer hardware perspective.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Nicolas

-Alex