[Qgis-user] [SPAM] Unit of length determined by layer or project CRS? (OTFon)

magerlin MAP at ramboll.dk
Sat Oct 24 13:11:05 PDT 2015

Hi Piotr

Thanks for your answer - It seems like the Quick map Services plugin is a
little better then OpenLayers plugin at showing maps in other projections
than the default and using a "local" metric projection I can get lengths in
meters using field calculator.

But since I am going to work with 100+ locations all over Asia I would like
to stick to one common projection.

But your answer pointed me at the essential problem:

Even though EPSG: 3857 has in its definition "+units=m" it is apparently NOT
in meters, so I must try to find a common projection covering Asis if that
is even possible? - it does not have to be that accurate!

-----
Regards Morten

Currently using Qgis 2.10.1 (OSGeo4),
Windows 7, 64bit