[Qgis-user] When Measure Tool can return meters nomatter CRS why can't Field Calculator?

magerlin MAP at ramboll.dk
Sat Oct 24 13:36:39 PDT 2015

To get meters from $length in field calculator the layer or project CRS (if
OTF is on) has to use the unit meters.

But the Measure Tool can return meters nomatter CRS, so why can't Field
Calculator?

Or rather shouldn't there be a $length(unit) function? (for meters, feet,
nautic miles etc.)

I can't think of any situation, where a length expressed in degrees is
usable?

I have searched Grass, OGR and SAGA in Processing but have not been able to
find any algorithms returning meters there either?

The might be an issue on accuracy, but if that is just stated I think we can
live with that?

-----
Regards Morten

Currently using Qgis 2.10.1 (OSGeo4),