[Qgis-user] qgis and spatialite

Michael.Dodd michael.dodd at open.ac.uk
Wed Oct 28 08:09:52 PDT 2015

I am trying to use spatialite with qgis but can't get spatialite to recognise geometry columns even though qgis can display the same data when given a .csv or shapefile. The data consist of a large spreadsheet including lat and long columns, this reads and displays fine in qgis.

When I put this into spatialite I can't get spatialite to recognise that two of the columns are lat and long (I have only just started using spatialite).

I can't convert the full data in qgis into a shapefile and import that into spatialite as spatialite refuses to accept the shapefile saying it contains errors or wrong kind of data.  The actual shapefile seems fine as it opens again in qgis.

I can chop the datafile down to just a few columns containing the coordinates and a key, convert that to shapefile and import that into spatialite. I can also import the full spreadsheet into spatialite as a text file but I can't see a way of joining the two together so that the two separate tables both have the geometry by linking on the key column even though I can see the dialogue that deals with links between tables.