[Qgis-user] .mbtiles raster conversion error

Jim Proctor jproctor at lclark.edu
Sat Sep 5 09:16:33 PDT 2015

Greetings — I’m running QGIS latest (2.10.1) on Mac OS latest, and attempting to convert a raster to .mbtiles format via Raster > Conversion > Translate. The error I receive is:
ERROR 6: GDALDriver::Create() ... no create method implemented for this format.
I’ve searched, and the two best answers I’ve seen are either that:

(a) This is not a GDAL-support conversion format on my computer. So in a terminal window I typed "gdalinfo --formats” and the response did include "MBTiles (rov): MBTiles.”

(b) There is a longstanding QGIS bug: http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4304. But, given (a), .mbtiles is indeed a writeable format, yes?

An additional, possibly unrelated, error: when I select .mbtiles in the dropdown menu, the filename suffix is one off (“.ter”); so I trick it by selecting “MS Windows Device Independent Bitmap,” which seems to render the correct script ("gdal_translate -of MBTiles /loc/filename.tif /loc/filename.mbtiles”).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Jim P.