[Qgis-user] Concatenate address fields with NULLS

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sun Sep 20 23:39:19 PDT 2015

Hi,

So how is concat(NULL,fieldname) any better than COALESCE(fieldname,'').
To me it is the same complexity and not really an improvement. But maybe
I don't get it. The only slight advantage would be that "concat" may be
a more familiar term than coalesce. But if you come from a database
background you already know COALESCE. Any serious GIS professional needs
to know databases.

Another small thing:
Do not mix up double quotes (") and single quotes ('). Whenever you use
a string, do use single quotes, when you use an attribute either use no
quotes or double quotes for some providers if you use capital letters in
field names (which is discourage anyway).

Andreas