[Qgis-user] What's wrong with PRJ file for CRS 3857?

Redoute redoute at tortenboxer.de
Mon Sep 21 03:59:11 PDT 2015

Am 16.09.2015 um 15:43 schrieb Redoute:

> I hope with your help we can describe the error more
> precisely to make an informed bug report.

Not sure about this yet. In GDAL I found the function OSRMorphToESRI()
(<https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/sandbox/libosr/ogr/ogr_srs_esri.cpp>).

I think QGIS stores the result of this function in the prj file. This
would be OK as long as the operation is reversible. Is it necessary?
Does current ArcGIS refuses to read WKT with Auth-IDs? Will "morphing"
still be necessary when GDAL and ArcGIS implement the new WKT standard
(when?)? This would have to be considered by QGIS.

If this should stay as it is, QGIS could handle 3857 as a special case
and dont "morph" it's WKT, as the morphed one is known as unusable.

Probably OSRMorphToESRI() should write
PROJECTION["Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere"] for EPSG:3857, and implement
this method. This would have to be changed by GDAL. I think it is the
same method as EPSG 1024: "Popular Visualisation Pseudo Mercator". Again
this may be related with the new WKT standard.

Or would MetaCRS (https://trac.osgeo.org/metacrs/) be the right place to

Redoute