[Qgis-user] Custom map frame

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 01:18:48 PDT 2016

On 29 April 2016 at 16:22, Uwe Fischer <gisfisch at t-online.de> wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I'm looking for a way to create a custom map frame in QGIS 2.14. I didn't
> find exactly what I'm looking for in the standard QGIS print composer
> options. I'd like to produce a combined frame made up of concentric single
> frames with different line weights, colors, and offsets. I know that I can
> place rectangles around the map in whatever offset and style I like, but it
> might be annoying to alingn them with the map one by one in position and
> size. I'd love to have them aligned automatically and updated when the map
> extent changes. Maybe there is a way to achieve the goal using print
> composter variables? Has anybody experience with that? A simple little
> example or link might be enough to get me started.

Unfortunately it's not possible without modifying the c++ code.
Composer also cannot be enhanced with plugins currently, so that
option's also out. The best you could do would be writing a little
script to go through and manually place rectangle shapes around the
border of the map item, but that's going to be quite clunky.

Nyal