[Qgis-user] QGIS vs ArcGIS in Education and Practice

Brent Wood pcreso at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 16:50:08 PST 2016

Hi,
I agree that most "GIS jobs" are after ESRI expertise. However, I think you have answered yourself - many universities offer GIS classes. Based on donated ESRI software to create market dominance.

Many other disciplines, especially in environmental science also run GIS classes with a focus on their discipline. These typically use QGIS & open source as they are not the beneficiaries of ESRI marketing largesse, and open source provides the required functionality within budget :-)

So - if you want to train GIS professionals, ESRI does make sense, if you want to train (say) ecologists in using GIS for ecology, use QGIS.
If you want a more solid grounding is GIS, & spatial data analysis, modeling & management, teach a suite comprising QGIS, R & Postgis.

Another aspect to consider, in the third world, especially African & Pacific Island nations, QGIS is the preferred platform. Generally only in the first world, and often just western nations, is commercial GIS software a popular choice.

Brent Wood