[Qgis-user] False positive with norton + whitelisting

Lens Paul paul.lens at gmx.com
Mon Dec 19 05:36:49 PST 2016

Thanks Matthias,

I just received the answer of Symantec (Norton), here are some excerpts.

----------------------------

Upon further analysis and investigation we have verified your submission and, as such, the detection(s) for the following file(s) will be removed from our products:

     File name: qgis_bin.exe
     MD5: 99002dab0a0525a941b4a473fe4b058b
     SHA256: 5f1fe42b904298eecbb1c0bdc3cbb4a28dcbace3b1b65a250ef800d8158a4f51
     Note: Whitelisting may take up to 24 hours to take effect via Live Update

If detection persists, please contact support:
* Norton:https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/info

If you are a software vendor and would like to upload your software for proactive whitelisting, please complete one of the following forms:
* If you are BCS customer:https://submit.symantec.com/whitelist/bcs
* Otherwise:https://submit.symantec.com/whitelist

For more information on best practices to reduce false positives:
http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/white_papers/b-to_increase_downloads-instill_trust_first_WP.en-us.pdf

Does it mean that they whitelist just one version of QGIS (in relation
with the signature MD5)?
Which means that every new version should also be submitted to them?
(luckily, the procedure is easy and not time-consuming).

They also recommend a "software vendor" procedure, which is beyond my
understanding.

Regards and thanks to all the developers for the marvelous development
of QGIS,

Paul