[Qgis-user] 3d Vector to Raster Elevation?

Michael Treglia mtreglia at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 13:51:28 PST 2016

Hi All,

With 3d-vector datasets, I'm wondering if there is a good way to convert to
a raster representing height.

Case in point - 3-D Building data for NYC:
http://www1.nyc.gov/site/doitt/initiatives/3d-building.page

The ESRI Multipatch format comes as gdb files, which I can import into
QGIS, and it seems to recognize the z coords (QGIS will style, more or
less, with the 2.5 styling). But, I would love to have a raster layer
simply representing the height above ground. (everything else either 0 or
nodata).

Any thoughts on how to do this? Is it possible/am I missing something
obvious? (Open to other tools outside of QGIS, but greatly prefer OSS)

Thanks!
Mike