[Qgis-user] Connecting QGIS to an Android GPS

Fernando M. Roxo da Motta petro at roxo.org
Mon Dec 26 05:41:39 PST 2016

=========================8<-----------------------------

> So, you do:
>
> $ sudo rfcomm bind 0 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 2
>
> and you will get the /dev/rfcomm0.

  Then you do:

$ ls -l /dev/rfcomm0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 216, 0 Dez 26 11:30 /dev/rfcomm0

  Make sure that your user is in the resource group, 'dialout' in this
case:

$ groups
roxo adm dialout cdrom floppy sudo audio dip video plugdev netdev fuse
lpadmin scanner sambashare vboxusers libvirtd gpu wireshark

  If you are not, insert your user there.  You can do it using the
administration tools or edit '/etc/groups' and insert your user there:

$ grep dialout /etc/group
dialout:x:20:roxo

  If you have to insert your user in "dialout", or whatever group it was
created under (never insert your user in root group!!), you will need to
logout and logon again, no restart needed.

> Then run QGIS with root, and connect GPS to /dev/rfcomm0.

  If you follow the steps above, fire QGis with your regular user and
connect GPS to /dev/rfcomm0.

> It is working fine here.

  Ditto.

  Best regards.

  Roxo

P.S.  Every time you have to run an end user application as root, look
for the resource demanding this authority and thy to give it to a
generic non authoritative group.   Insert your user in that group and,
finally, try to use the resource with your user.

 --
---------------- Non luctari, ludare -------------------+ WYSIWYG
Fernando M. Roxo da Motta <petro at roxo.org>              | Editor?