[Qgis-user] Calculating area and length from DTM

Lene Fischer lfi at ign.ku.dk
Mon Feb 1 00:33:47 PST 2016

Hi Again,
I have found tree solutions for my problems- Can anyone tell me if they are correct.

I clip the DTM with the polygon and the use the SAGA Real surface area. It gives me a new raster where the pixelvalues has changed from Z to a calculated area. Finally I use the Zonal statistic and add the SUM value to the polygon.

The second is a Grass function r.surf.area It gives me an area in the log.

The functions has a slightly different result, but it´s only 3/1000 :-)

For calculating the fence I had to be a bit more old school. Distance= SQRT((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2 + (z2-z1)^2) I took the polygon and converted it to points with a ordered pointnumber.
Used the SAGA function Add Grid Values to Point It takes the Z Value from the DTM and add an attribute to a new pointlayer.
The pointlayer is saved as CSV. It gives me a table with x,y and z.
And in Spreadsheet I can easily calculate the length af each vertice and make a sum. :-)

Regards
Lene Fischer