[Qgis-user] [GRASS-user] QGIS - GRASS Plugin not loading

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Fri Feb 5 03:43:07 PST 2016

Hi Bernd,

Depends how you define "stable".
The nightlies for 2.12 are only receiving bugfixes, so they can be even more "stable" than the current point release. However, also fixes can in principle introduce new bugs...
That the GRASS plugin does not install in 2.8 is simply due to the fact that it first got introduced in 2.12 (see: http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/visualchangelog212/#plugins)...

Anyway,I would very much like to see the GRASS integration in QGIS becoming a bit more smooth. There have been several post regarding problems with the installation of the plugin lately.

Since the GRASS GIS 7.0.3 just was released: would it be possible to build new packages for the different platforms? Currently it is quite cumbersome, esp. on windows where I have to install two QGIS versions (qgis and qgis-rel-dev, since "qgis" is the dependency of the plugin and I cannot install only "qgis-rel-dev" alone).

In future, avoiding to build the plugin against GRASS release candidates (like Martin Landa suggested for Windows) could be a solution. However, the drawback might be that, people might have to decide whether they want to test the GRASS RC or keep the QGIS plugin dependencies. Would it be an option to have parallel builds / packages for the stable GRASS 7 and the RC (like qgis, qgis-rel-dev and qgis-dev)?

Cheers
Stefan