[Qgis-user] Open attribute table in form view by default

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Feb 8 06:12:12 PST 2016

Hi Richard,

There 1300! open feature requests in our bug queue. These features don't
get implemented by accident or on a voluntary basis (maybe some do). We
have to be realistic. If we want to have good progress, we better start
sponsoring features!

I am not asking a poor guy from a development country to privately
invest into QGIS, but a government organization from one of the richest
countries in the world. I also happen to work for a gov agency (on
province level in Switzerland). I know that these organizations have
enough money to invest into such software - they also pay
thousands/millions of Euros in licensing fees for proprietary software.
And by using OpenSource software they save a lot and gain flexibility -
and they can influence how the software they use gets developed. I
personally think, these organizations even have an obligation to give
something back to the OpenSource software they use!

Don't you think that it is quite ok to politely ask such organizations
to contribute a little bit financially for features they have an
interest in? If there are many such organizations contributing together,
we all profit from each other - and the ones who cannot afford to
contribute can still use it as well. I have no problem with that.

How do you think other OpenSource gets developed? Linux, LibreOffice,
Firefox, Apache, Postgres, Postgis, etc, etc. - do you think this all
happens solely from voluntary contributors?

Already in 2010 75% of the contributions in the Linux kernel were
contributed by paid developers:
http://apcmag.com/linux-now-75-corporate.htm/ I think it is safe to
assume that this figure is even higher in 2015. Do you think all of
these paid devs and the organizations who sponsor them are evil?

Andreas