[Qgis-user] Google to withdraw aerial images?

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Feb 16 23:13:44 PST 2016

Hi Michael,

I would also suggest you lobby for more open government data. There are
many countries where there is a gradual shift to more open governmental
data, including the UK. I am personally quite pleased how the open data
movement develops across Europe and also in my own country, Switzerland.
My local province (Zurich) where I live provides 10cm orthoimages as
geotiff images, high-res LIDAR data and many other data sets and
services under an open data license. Cadastral data is already open data
in several swiss provinces and there are more provinces joining every
year.

Google has its own agenda and they make it very clear that you are not
allowed to use their data outside of their planned usage - which doesn't
include Desktop GIS.

Google also has a history of suddenly withdrawing services on short
notice - so I wouldn't be surprised if stuff would disappear over night.

Andreas