[Qgis-user] GDAL/OGR 2.0 in OSGeo4W

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 09:54:13 PST 2016

Hi David -

Now with QGIS upgraded to use GDAL 2.0.2 it has the necessary building
blocks to read "the slightly dodgy" tif-with-tab files** (My own words
IIRC ? ). The only thing I can't figure out it how to activate the
"TAB_APPROX_GEOTRANSFORM" qualifier.

Maybe some of the experienced users/developers could tell us how ?

If it not already possible to activate this fuction, I see some
possibilities for this to happen:

  * It could permanently be activated in QGIS. (It would only affect the
    users with tiff - files witout geo information embedded in the tiff;
    with corresponding tab files and where the tab files contains
    "slightly dodgy" information. That must be a smallish amount of users.
  * It could be activated by a new user setting for QGIS.

Regards
Bo Victor Thomsen

** The phrase "slightly dodgy tif-with-tab" files implies, that:

  * the tiff file does not contain any geoinformation.
  * It has a corresponding tab file, which contains the geoinformation.
  * And lastly: This information contains som smallish error when
    calculating the affine transformation from pixels to world
    coordinates, probably because the 4 (or more)  pixel point/world
    coordinate pairs has been generated by hand.

In this case GDAL will make a least squares adjustment from  the
possible solutions - if the "TAB_APPROX_GEOTRANSFORM" is activated.
Otherwise it simply produces an error.