[Qgis-user] Assistance with high-level use case of QGIS for commercial use

Dave Tobias terra2you at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 14:26:28 PST 2016

I'm new to QGIS and have been a very long time user of a commercial GIS
solution.  Their fee to deploy a mapservice has opened my eyes to other
options.  I use the term mapservice loosely because what I want to deploy
won't even have a map GUI.  It is quite simple actually:
I would like to deploy QGIS such that multiple non--GIS users can use their
individual secure logins to upload a .txt file (in a prescribed format)
which will contain a feature ID, latitude and longitude coordinate for each
row.  Then in batch mode, the program would then overlay the points with a
polygon layer I maintain on that server. The output would be a .txt file
containing the input attributes plus 1 attribute added to each row from the
polygon layer. No map display needed, no other user interaction.  This is a
simple geospatial operation for which they will pay a nominal fee.
I was able to do this same operation manually with QGIS desktop and I see
there is an API to perform the operation as a script.  So...are there any
barriers to me doing this with QGIS/QGIS Server? Is there support for this
use-case already? I searched but didn't come up with any concrete examples
in the forums already - a few were interactive apps, but I need mine to run
in batch mode.
Thanks in advance - hopefully I'm sending to the correct forum!