[Qgis-user] Best way to work in QGIS as 'clean install'

Michael Treglia mtreglia at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 10:59:56 PST 2016

Hi Everybody,

I'm updating some training material I use in a course, and want to make
sure I'm viewing things as new users with a clean install would (while
maintaining a copy with everything as I want it configured).  I've figured
out a way to do this, but wanted to see if others have a better solution.

My method that works just fine (and lets me do screenshots and such) is to
work on QGIS within a Ubuntu virtual machine, from my host Windows pc.

It seems like a slightly easier way would be to have a separate install of
QGIS on Windows - tried that using two different install methods on the
same user account (OSGeo4W vs Standalone installer), but the standalone
picked up the settings from my OSGeo install.  To work as desired, would
that have to be done on a separate user account?

Thanks for your thoughts - Cheers,
mike