[Qgis-user] Problem with decimal places in coordinates

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Thu Jan 14 06:42:56 PST 2016

Hi,
There are 2 problems.  The first is that not all number can bit
represented on a base 2 representation (we normally use base 10 for
finances and banking).   Wiki that and you will find it.  It's normal
for things to change a bit.  The second problem is the number of
decimals in the field.  When you create a shp file, you can specify the
length of the decimal place.  If it's there, you can probably use the
field calculator to create a new field with your specified length and
copy the data from 1 field to the other.   (It may be too much trouble
for a non significant error if that is the case.) There may be a plugin
that may change number of decimal.  (If you do, backup your original). I
may help if you specify the type of collumn you are importing in the
csv.  This may help.

http://anitagraser.com/2011/03/07/how-to-specify-data-types-of-csv-columns-for-use-in-qgis/

Cheers!
Nicolas