[Qgis-user] best way to download Large datasets from OSM

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu Jan 14 15:01:48 PST 2016

I just found this [1] morning. Looks like a good way to get started. I does
require installing PostGIS. The instructions are for Linux but Boundless
geo has installation pages for OS X and Windows. I have no experience on
Windows. The advantage of using a database back end is being able to run
queries for just the data needed. That should allow QGIS to run without a
30GB load.

You can share your QGIS styles with the repository for others to use.

[1] https://github.com/baditaflorin/osm-postgis-scripts

Clifford

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 7:39 AM, Joris Hintjens <jorishin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> Ive been spending the past few hours trying to find out what is the best
> way to download large chunks of OSM data.
>
> I have no understanding of Databases nor of programming, so I am limited
> to predefined tools, algorithms and/or plugins.
>
> I want t create a map of all the (navigable) rivers and canals in Europe.
> I downloaded the osm.bpf of Europe (30 Gig) and when I try to start a
> query, QGIS freezes.
>
> Downloading from overpass only the rivers with Quickest plugin) , gives me
> timeout error (even after increasing the timeout parameter)
>
> any other suggesting welcome.
>
> Joris

@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us