[Qgis-user] QGIS big fail in deleting Shapes!!

Mats Elfström mats.elfstrom at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 13:54:00 PST 2016

Hi!
While all that Nicolas and Uwe says is generally true and reasonable, it is
also true that bugs and errors can be more or less dangerous.
With limited resources, it is even more important that bugs are handled
according to a simple risk analysis.
In this case, it would go something like this:
What is the probability that users will edit shape files (high, moderate,
low): High
What is the probability that QGIS will damage shape files: Moderate (as I
understand)
What is the severity of the potential damage (fatal, reparable,
negligible): Fatal
And High * Moderate * Fatal equals a probable risk for fatal damage, which
ought to prompt for a rapid fix of ths bug, regardless of where it resides
in the QGIS ecosystem.
But oddly enough, I have browsed through many of the posts on the shape
file issue, but have yet to find a technical description of the exact cause
and origin of this bug.

Regards, Mats.E

saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk>:

> Dear Uwe,
>

> There are some work-arounds and solutions provided within the ticket.
>

> Also, work is underway to resolve the issue in the next LTR release. Last
> time I checked (5 minutes ago) it is still present in master.
>

> I totally agree with you that there should be a warning to users to make
> them aware of this limitation.
>

> In general, QGIS and other GIS/non-GIS proprietary software come with
> bugs. The reason developers haven’t fixed this bug and other bugs is due to
> lack of resources (time, money).
>

> The project steering committee is committed to resolving the bugs and they
> have already allocated a big proportion of their income for bug fixing. You
> can see last year’s financial report hear:
>
> http://qgis.org/en/_downloads/PublicQGISfinancialreport2014.pdf
>

> If you think, there should be more work done to increase the quality of
> QGIS, you can get involved or contribute to the project:
>
> http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/sponsorship/sponsorship.html
>

> Regards,
>
> Saber

Mats Elfström, Väpplingvägen 21, SE-227 38 LUND, Sweden
tel: +46 46 145959 / mob: +46 70 595 39 35
alt e-mail: mats.elfstrom at giskraft.com <mats.elfstrom at telia.com>