[Qgis-user] Categorized layer: match label colour to category colour?

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Thu Jan 21 10:35:12 PST 2016

Hi folks,

i digitized lines of bird species flying around in an area.
The plan is to render the layer categorized by species and adjust the
colours so you get the best distinction between the species and best
contrast with the background.

For further information, the lines need to have labels as well, cause we
deal with 25 + x species, so there is no way to figure out on one glimpse
which line colour is which species.

Labeling with one colour adds more mess to the map, so my idea was just to
set the label colour to the colour of the corresponding category.

Being lazy, I wonder if there is some work flow to read out and add the
line colour of a feature to the dataset, so I can just set the label
colour to data driven and do not have to do that manually?

Using QGIS 2.8.3 on Linux, but could also switch to 2.12 if necessary...

Cheers
Bernd