[Qgis-user] desktop icons on fresh windows

Carlos Cerdán sig.upagu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 21:34:11 PST 2016

Same experience here but...

*Dear developers,* maybe a short "readme" will be useful to introduce to
new *lone* Windows user to GRASS and SAGA as other independent GIS
applications which are useful to QGIS because this last one uses many
modules of them through Processing (or grass plugin); and explain that it
is done because those are free software, and one practice in the free
software community is: if one application can do well a task, then we use
it and we (well,all of you developers) help to develop this application, or
make another better one, or make plugins, documentation, etc.

That is more or less that I say to new users (all of them Windows users)
and they were always surprised about the idea of free software
collaboration. I also talk about QGIS browser; about GRASS and his raster
skills; about Qt designer, Msys... and after that, we "clean" the desktop
and left just "QGIS desktop" and QGIS browser.

So... What do you think about a short "readme" with some explanation about
why other applications were installed with QGIS in Windows? (and Mac?), and
why Linux users must install GRASS and SAGA with QGIS.

Best whishes

Carlos Cerdán