[Qgis-user] General interest in geological support for QGIS?

John Harrop jcharrop at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 10:47:01 PST 2016

Since we have been talking about geological symbol fonts…

What is the level of interest in other geological tools?  I would very much like to see the momentum in QGIS carry on into building tools in QGIS and/or PostGIS to support drilling, geochemistry and geophysics field surveys.

For example, I have run simple drill sections as “projections” with the data calculated in a spreadsheet.  Recently I have been (enjoying!) processing magnetic surveys in R and building profiles for plotting in plan view along the survey lines.  The tools are there to build a good exploration suite like those provided commercially for MapInfo and ESRI.

Any other interest in this?  Should we be more formalizing a project?

John