[Qgis-user] Backing up GIS Data

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Jul 14 12:26:25 PDT 2016

Hi Tyler,

This is a good question, and an important one, and don't feel bad about
posting it here - likely we can all learn from this discussion, as it
definitely involves the whole QGIS community.

I have quite a lot of experience backing up databases, especially
PostgreSQL/PostGIS databases.  I can tell you that it is for sure
important to run "pg_dump" as a daily backup (in addition to your whole
server image/backup) - that pg_dump has saved me and my clients hundreds
of times, and it is very portable and easy to access (as opposed to your
whole image/machine backup).  One very important point (that's I've
learned from experience) when using pg_dump is to *always* use the
custom binary/compressed output format (the "--format=c" commandline
switch for pg_dump).  I've had terrible times with the other output
format types, especially when restoring a database from a Windows server
to a Linux server etc (with hardcoded paths inside the backup).  I live
by that format, swear by it, from experience, moving so many client
databases from one machine to another.

Another mailing list to keep in mind is the PostGIS mailing list, where
these backup topics also pop up from time to time - and discussions are
more geo-related, so are very helpful, than just the generic PostgreSQL
mailing list.

So, definitely implement an additional backup process using pg_dump (you
can experiment restoring it through the "pg_restore" command), you won't
regret the effort spent.

Happy QGIS-ing,

-jeff

--