[Qgis-user] QGIS communication platforms

Mats Elfström mats.elfstrom at giskraft.com
Mon Jul 18 06:34:10 PDT 2016

Hi!
I am sad to say that I disagree strongly with the views expressed in some
replies to my earlier post.

I am a kid of 63 who has found that Facebook and Twitter are important and
 invaluable sources and platforms for both communication and information.
And kids of a younger age are, and must be our target audience. I do not
know about you abroad, but in Sweden there is an alarming lack of students
and graduates in the geospatial sciences. It is now hard to find educated
young people to fill the gaps when us old kids retire. I try to evangelize
QGIS as good as I can and have opportunity to, and an FB page needs no
explanation, while mailing lists are an unknown entity. Among younger kids,
i mean.

Second, I am a volunteer. I run a Facebook page for QGIS in swedish, and
try to pick up news on QGIS development and QGIS use of a general interest.
Time is a factor, of course, but using FB I need not spend any time to
maintain userlists, login procedures, web servers etc. I can spend the time
I can offer to maintain the content of the page, which is what should
matter in the end.
An I do not think that 20000+ FB QGIS likers deserve to be so lightly
disregarded.

Cheers, Mats.E