[Qgis-user] Fwd: Joining data to a shape file by country name when the names don't match exactly

Joe Lertola joe at joelertola.com
Fri Nov 4 19:06:22 PDT 2016

Hello.

Today I made a thematic map by joining a list of data that had country names to a shape file of world countries. I had to spend a lot of time working in Excel to make my data names match the names in the shape file. A lot of them already matched but there were many that didn’t. For example the the shape file had Ivory Coast and the data had Cte d’Ivoire as the name. Is there any way to do this in Qgis instead of Excel? Years ago I recall doing this in ArcMap. There was a tool that matched up the data where it could and then for each record that wasn’t matched you could choose the matching record manually. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Joe