[Qgis-user] official plugins repository unavailable?

Fernando M. Roxo da Motta petro at roxo.org
Sat Nov 5 05:43:22 PDT 2016

On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 10:44:44 +0100, Alessandro Pasotti
<apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:

  Sorry to butt in, a few days ago I stumbled with a resource that can
improve significatively the performance of the server, at least if it
runs on Linux:

   http://www.memcached.org/

  Perhaps it deserves a try.

  HTH.

> On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde
> <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:
>
> > On 05-11-16 10:11, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I've been monitoring the server and I think that with the caching
> > > in place the timeouts are gone, but of course we need to add the
> > > new versions as they appear.
> > >
> > > Richard: what do you think about adding a couple of future
> > > versions too, so we don't forget?
> >
> > Yep, done: 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 added
> >
> > Currently the nightly requests the ?qgis=3.0 version (see [0])
> >
> > by the way, running the get_plugins.xml script takes  2,5 minute
> > $ time ./get_plugins_xml
> > real    2m27.058s
> > user    0m0.040s
> > sys     0m0.096s
> > And runs every 10 minutes. Maybe we should bring that up in future,
> > or make the script faster?
> >

> I've already spent quite a lot of time trying to make it faster and
> it's now indeed much faster: a single run (for a single QGIS version)
> is ~3 seconds depending on the server load (it was sometimes over 10
> seconds before my latest changes!).
> What seemed a simple addition (the trusted flag) came out to be a
> performance killer, because the user "trusted" information is a
> couple of tables away:
> plugin_version -> plugin -> author -> group -> permission
>
> We are now using raw queries:
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Django/commit/3ffd9c3d989ce144a2cf9d7f02ea2b0dc8f5b5ad
>
> The problem is also that on that server there are a lot of other
> processes going on (doc builds for example) that eat resources.
>
> I don't think we can achieve much better results without some deep
> refactoring of the plugins application (adding triggers to set the
> trusted flag on the plugin version row could be a good starting point)
>

> BTW, I'd lower the frequency of the caching script: I don't think that
> waiting 30 minutes or more to see a plugin appear in the XML will kill
> anyone.

  Roxo

--
---------------- Non luctari, ludare -------------------+ WYSIWYG