[Qgis-user] QGis and Mac hardware

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Nov 7 10:34:25 PST 2016

Le lundi 07 novembre 2016 19:18:33, Nicolas Cadieux a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Currently GPU acceleration is not used.  Maybe some plugins can use it but
> I have not seen anything yet.  I have put in a request to use GPU for the
> qgis 3.0 raster calculator as it needs to be upgraded for huge rasters.
> Currently , the qgis raster calculator can not handle big rasters.  The
> new version needs to break up the raster into smaller chucks and if you
> have done that, you might as well use the multi CPU ou GPU to do the rest.
>  I an hopping this will be fixed for 3.0.  Rendering is multithreaded and
> will be faster the more cores you have.  Personally, I would go for the
> quad core without even thinking for this and other softwares.  I would
> think of getting an ssd also.  I have not used qgis on a MAC (PC and
> ubuntu only) but I expect this comment  to be valid for Macs also.

If you use gdalwarp, with GDAL configured with OpenCL (which is rarely the case
for most standard binary builds), you can get GPU acceleration for non nearest
neighbour resampling. Although currently the gain is generally modest (or even
slower) w.r.t multi-threaded acceleration, and you may face issues with buggy
OpenCL drivers. Might be that the OpenCL code path isn't completely optimized
too as it is still rather experimental.

http://www.spatialys.com