[Qgis-user] Creating parent feature with geometry from child feature

Nicolas Boisteault boisteault at observatoire-environnement.org
Tue Nov 8 03:37:22 PST 2016

Hi Matthias Kuhn,

First thank you very much for your help and your work on this feature
There is room for improvement but this functionality is already great as
it.

Another question. I also tried to add a station and an observation from
the station form.

When creating, I have 'nextval('public.station_gid_seq'::regclass)' in
the gid attribute and in the id_station attribute too which is good to
me.

Now if i save the observation feature first it won't work because the
station feature it refers doesn't exist. It is logical to me.

But if save the new station feature, it only save this feature and not
the relative observation with the newly foreign created.

Is it a bug or a limitation? Thanks.

Le 2016-11-08 12:09, Matthias Kuhn a écrit :

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> This is a limitation of the current implementation.
>
> You can either add a new station without geometry first and then select
> it in the attribute table and use the add part tool to add a geometry.
>
> Or add it from its own layer and then link it to the parent observation.
>
> I agree there is room for improvement.
>
> Regards
> Matthias
>
> On 11/08/2016 11:49 AM, Nicolas Boisteault wrote:
>
>> Hi List,
>>
>> I have two tables :
>>
>> * station : gid, geom (point)
>> * observation : id, id_station (foreign key)
>>
>> There is a 1:N relation; for one station feature there are multiple
>> observation features.
>>
>> I add the relation between my two tables in QGIS -> project properties.
>> I use the relation reference widget on id_station and check 'able the
>> add of new entities' (not sure about my english translation)
>>
>> So now when I create a new observation I can click the plus symbol to
>> add a station but I can't see how I can create the point geometry. I'm
>> not able to click the map.
>>
>> Any hint? Thank you all.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Nicolas BOISTEAULT