[Qgis-user] Corporate Users

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 06:58:02 PST 2016

Ok - I've added some extra information to the GitHub description of the
alternative installation method:

"
https://github.com/Frederikssund/Alternativ-QGIS-installation/blob/master/Readme%20-%20english.md
"

"
During the ordinary Qgis installation two dll - files is copied to
directory C:\Windows\System32. The files are Microsoft basic support files
that is used by Qgis. To ensure that the files are present in subsequent
Qgis installations the files has to be copied from C:\Windows\System32 to
the Qgis program directory, subdirectory \bin, ex. "C:\Program Files\QGIS
2.18\bin\"

The names of the two files is msvcp120.dll and msvcr120.dll, if the version
of Qgis is 2.18. For earlier Qgis the names *might* be msvcp110.dll /
msvcr110.dll or msvcp100.dll / msvcr100.dll.

NB! If a Qgis 32 bit version is prepared using a Windows 64 bit PC, the dll
files has to be copied from directory C:\Windows\SysWOW64 - *not*
C:\Windows\System32.

"
I've checked that both QGIS 2.18 and 2.16 and Grass 7 are working if you
move the aforementioned dll's from C:\windows\system32 to the \bin subdir
of the Qgis program directory. So the method will work for these versions
of Qgis and Grass.

Regards
Bo Victor Thomsen

> Hi Bo,
>
> On Mon, 07. Nov 2016 at 15:20:00 +0100, Bo Victor Thomsen wrote:
> > It's 2 files - and I can't recall the specific names for the dll's, but
> the
> > error messages wil give you the exact names for them.
>
> That works for old and new versions.  Microsoft at some point decided that
> they
> need assemblies in the registry to have the runtime working and those
> required
> installation.
>
> Meanwhile they changed their mind.  But as the qgis dependencies might be
> still
> compiled with some "affected" version, also the newer versions are still
> installed.
>
> I might revisit that when Qt5 and python3 are introduced - perhaps there
> aren't
> even dependencies left, that need it and the older runtimes can just be
> dropped - or just a few that could be updated easily.
>

> Jürgen
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel.
> +49-4931-918175-31
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax.
> +49-4931-918175-50
> Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden
> http://www.norbit.de
> QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode

Med venlig hilsen

Bo Victor Thomsen