[Qgis-user] Plea for help with monochrome maps for publication

David Addy david_addy at lineone.net
Fri Nov 11 09:26:06 PST 2016

Most of us prepare our maps using colours for different outlines or different
colour shades of fill for polygons. However, there are still occasions where
maps produced for publication in books or magazines will end up as shades of
grey  to save the cost of colour printing. This is certainly the case for
most of the local history texts for which I am often asked to make maps.
This can result in greys which are fairly indistinguishable from each other,
and traditionally this issue was approached by adding hatchings to the
‘colour’. This could end up as looking a mess and/or failing to adequately
highlight an area of highest activity in distribution maps.
Has anybody got any experience of, or advice for,  successfully solving the
problem of making monochrome maps look more attractive and useful?