[Qgis-user] Plea for help with monochrome maps for publication

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Fri Nov 11 15:24:43 PST 2016

Have a look at http://colorbrewer2.org

There you can check for grey-scale tones that are distinguishable and
printer friendly, so you can set up a palette with those values.
The downside of grey scales is, that there are not so many different tones
available as when working with colours.

Cheers
Bernd

Am 11.11.2016, 18:26 Uhr, schrieb David Addy <david_addy at lineone.net>:

> Most of us prepare our maps using colours for different outlines or
> different
> colour shades of fill for polygons. However, there are still occasions
> where
> maps produced for publication in books or magazines will end up as
> shades of
> grey  to save the cost of colour printing. This is certainly the case for
> most of the local history texts for which I am often asked to make maps.
> This can result in greys which are fairly indistinguishable from each
> other,
> and traditionally this issue was approached by adding hatchings to the
> ‘colour’. This could end up as looking a mess and/or failing to
> adequately
> highlight an area of highest activity in distribution maps.
> Has anybody got any experience of, or advice for,  successfully solving
> the
> problem of making monochrome maps look more attractive and useful?
>

> --

Bernd Vogelgesang
Siedlerstraße 2
91083 Baiersdorf/Igelsdorf