[Qgis-user] inconsistenty when calculating area depending on file type or projection?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 13:14:56 PDT 2016

On 15 Oct 2016 12:51 AM, "Carlos Cerdán" <sig.upagu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nyall
>
> I'm afraid that 2.16 has still this issue. I've loaded an UTM-17 south
layer (my zone) and a Lat-long layer and:

> 1. SRC was seted in UTM
>
> 2. In UTM layer, if OTF SRC transformation is active, I get different
area than if it's deactivated. Correct value is the last one.

> 3. In Lat-long layer, if OTF SRC transformation is active, calculated
area is same as the wrong value of first layer. I can't get the correct
value in this layer, so I have to reproject into a new one and do step 2
(with OTF deactivated).

> What about a general option to set the prefered SRC to calculate areas
and lengths with OTF active?

Hi Carlos,

Can you please share your file? Cut it down to just a few polygons and let
me know what area you expect to see. Email direct to myself.

Thanks!

Nyall

> Regards from Peru
>
> Carlos

>> On 12 Oct 2016 11:56 PM, "Carlos Cerdán" <sig.upagu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > AFAIK, It also is needed to turn off "on the fly SRC transformation"
to get correct area values.... Or QGIS has fixed this point?

>> Everything should be fixed in recent versions, and I very (VERY) much
want to know if any issues are still encountered.

>> Calculating area/length is a core task for a GIS and we need to make
sure it's rock solid. (Which it should be since 2.16!)

>> Nyall
>>

>> > If you can't get correct area values, check out about it....

measurements options set in Project --> Project Properties --> General tab.
http://docs.qgis.org/2.14/en/docs/user_manual/introduction/general_tools.html#measuring

nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca>:

> [...]
on the crs depending on the tools you are using.

field calculator in QGIS version 2.16.3. Since I'm using MapInfo
Professional as well, I mainly use tab-files that I can open in both
programmes, but occasionally I save as shapefile since this used to be the
default in QGIS.

mismatch in calculated area for the shapefile and the tab-file for exactly
the same polygons! I used the field calculator in the attribute table in
both cases, but for the shapefile the resulting areas were almost doubled
in area compared to the tab-file. Any idea why this is happening?

where projection has been converted from SWEREF99TM (a Swedish national
projection) to WGS84. There differences occurred in both the tab and
shapefile compared to the area calculated for the same tab-file in MapInfo.
Again I find this very confusing!

here can explain to me what is happening!