[Qgis-user] Question about results of Union in QGIS

SEGGIE Graeme gseggie at systra.com
Tue Oct 25 15:43:33 PDT 2016

Thanks Luigi,

That doesn't seem to help unfortunately.

I tried with the same two shapefiles in 2.14 and in both cases get 463 zones unioned to 463 resulting in over 4000 features with nulls in attributes and lots of features which seem to not highlight any polygon when selected.

Simplifying things, I created a new polygon shapefile with just three polygons  - one overlapping each of the other two. Result of unioning this with itself is 17 features. Doing same on two copies of same shapefile also results in 17 features. However, two different shapefiles, same 3 features in one and a single feature in another, which overlaps two of the 3, results in 6 features when unioning which makes some sense.

Graeme