[Qgis-user] Creating subpolygons from two shapefile layers

simonc8 simoncrombie at onetel.com
Mon Oct 31 09:41:31 PDT 2016

<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5293654/overlapping_shapefiles.png>

The image shows two shapefiles each containing several polygons - one
shapefile is outlined in thin black lines, the other in thick pink.

I'm trying to use Geoprocessing tools to create a new shapefile which
contains a new polygon for everytime a polygon of one layer intersects one
of the other, so I want the new shapefile to contain polygons as shown in
the second image:

<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5293654/overlapping_shapefiles_2.png>

I've tried combinations of Intersect and Union and Clip but none of these
seem to produce the result I want. Very grateful if anyone can offer advice.