[Qgis-user] Ubuntu updating instructions

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Mon Sep 12 21:21:21 PDT 2016

Hey Dave!

It's a little bit confusing. There are like three repositories: stable,
unstable, and testing. Testing you don't want (unless you want to test
packages). Typically stable is a bit older. Unstable is current. Which
doesn't really make sense - but that's the way it is.

Under my /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory I made a qgis.list file and
put the following in there:

deb http://qgis.org/debian xenial main
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu xenial main

That gets QGIS 2.16.2 and GDAL 2.x.

It would "sound" nicer if it was testing stable and "fresh" (which is
how libreoffice does it) - but unstable is actually quite stable for 16.04.

Randy

On 09/12/2016 11:59 PM, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On 13 September 2016 at 13:08, Dave Kimble<dave.kimble at riseup.net>  wrote:
>> I have Ubuntu 16.04.1 and QGIS 2.8.6 .
>> Help > Check Version > says there is v2.16.2 ,
>> but the instructions at
>> http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#debian-ubuntu
>> for how to do it are totally baffling.
> Hi Dave!
>
> If you're not comfortable with these instructions, I'd probably
> suggest sticking with the version provided by your distribution and
> wait till QGIS is updated in the repos (ie, with Ubuntu 16.10).
>
> Nyall
>
>> I've never had to edit /etc/apt/sources.list before,
>> and I don't like the look of the example:
>> debhttp://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu  xenial main
>> I don't want an unstable package!,
>> I've never had to remove a package before installing a more recent version,
>> do you expect me to remove a working package and replace with one from an
>> unstable repository?
>>
>> Normally I would expect to add-apt-repository and update.
>> When I do that I get lots of ign: lines then
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> W: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ppa/ubuntu  xenial
>> Release' does not have a Release file.
>> N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore
>> potentially dangerous to use.
>> N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration
>> details.
>> E: Failed to fetch
>> http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ppa/ubuntu/dists/xenial/main/binary-amd64/Packages
>> 404  Not Found
>> E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones
>> used instead.
>> $
>>
>> -http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ppa/ubuntu/dists/  doesn't have a
>> /xenial/ folder
>>
>> Obviously I need some help here, but it really shouldn't be necessary.
>>
>> Dave

Randal Hale
North River Geographic Systems, Inc
http://www.northrivergeographic.com