[Qgis-user] Ubuntu updating instructions

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Tue Sep 13 07:44:59 PDT 2016

On 09/13/2016 10:23 AM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi Randal,
>
> On Tue, 13. Sep 2016 at 00:21:21 -0400, Randal Hale wrote:
>> It's a little bit confusing. There are like three repositories:
>> stable, unstable, and testing. Testing you don't want (unless you
>> want to test packages). Typically stable is a bit older. Unstable is
>> current. Which doesn't really make sense - but that's the way it is.
> Not like it matters much in this case.
>
> We have packages in qgis.org/debian/ against the plain versions of the
> distributions (debian and **ubuntu**) and in qgis/ubuntugis/ packages against
> newer dependencies from - and only from - ubuntugis-unstable.
>
> Looks like it's hard for people to accept that there are also ubuntu packages
> in a directory called debian and that probably makes them jump on the other
> because it has ubuntu in it's name.
I was thinking about it last night (and I was up way to late) and it is
a bit confusing for the casual user. They've installed Ubuntu (or
mint/debian/xubuntu/etc) and they may not understand ubuntu is based off
debian. So like you said - they see debian but want to use Ubuntu. They
go to UbuntuGIS and they see the repositories for UbuntuGIS and the
choice is unstable (and no one likes unstable software) and stable
(which doesn't contain the newest software). So you end up going "Use
Unstable because it's stable and current".

>> Under my /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory I made a qgis.list file
>> and put the following in there:
>>
>> deb http://qgis.org/debian xenial main
>> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu xenial main
> Why?  That are the packages not based on ubuntugis with the dependencies from
> ubuntugis.
Do I have this wrong? I thought I had the repositories for the install
correct based off the directions on qgis.org. Which I could completely
have it wrong. With the above repos I'm getting QGIS 2.16.x and GDAL 2.1.x.

> Jürgen

Randal Hale
North River Geographic Systems, Inc
http://www.northrivergeographic.com