[Qgis-user] Processing - Duplicate tools for reprojecting

Springfield Harrison stellargps at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 12:27:55 PDT 2017

Hello and thanks for your comments. Sorry to not have followed up on
previous replies from Paulo.

I agree that we all need to sending bug reports and assist with
documentation but this can be hugely time-consuming.

A good example might be a problem I had with CAD digitizing tool some time
ago. I could not figure out how to make them work and the documentation was
skimpy or missing.

I did attempt to follow through with more detail but spent an inordinate
amount of time just figuring out which tool was which. In the end there
were at least two tools with the same name but different functions and a
third one with functions that seem to overlap some in the other two. I
finally gave up trying to unravel all the relationships and missing pieces.
This is unfortunate as the problem never gets resolved.  I often don't even
know the name of the tool I am using or how to look up help for it.

I was only attempting to create perpendicular and parallel lines but got
unpredictable results or none at all. In my CAD program this was all
acheived in mere seconds with a completely predictable outcome.

The processing toolbox items seem to be better organized and documented
although they frequently report missing documentation as well. There is
also huge duplication there too.

Except for very basic functions, I find that hunting for specialized tools,
figuring out how they work , troubleshooting the functions and lack of
documentation leads me to just give up and turn to other programs that I
know will work right away.

I suppose that crowd building a GIS is mostly successful but seems to
suffer from an overall lack of coordination which creates a product which
doesn't seem to be cohesive.

Although not free, Manifold GIS is immensely powerful and well-documented
to a fault although there are some deficiencies there as well.  I think
Manifold is now only a few hundred dollars with several very inexpensive
add-ons available.

Now I see increasing numbers of posts regarding installation and other
major functionality problems. Not sure if I would choose qgis again
although parts of it are really brilliant the cartographic output is very
good.

Sorry to not be more helpful but I don't see a quick fix here ...

Cheers . . . . .   Springfield​ Harrison
Samsung Tab 4