[Qgis-user] Meanshift segmentation with OTB-QGIS not recognizing mask feature

fecapes calleja.apestegui at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 03:24:03 PDT 2017

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to segment a 3 band image using the meanshift segmentation tool
of OTB in QGIS. At first I made a segmentation of the whole image and it
works fine. As a second step, I'm interested in sub-segmenting some of the
polygons previously created, so I'm trying to use the same tool activating
the mask option. As I understand in the documentation, only the pixels with
a positive value in the mask would be used in the segmentation.
Nevertheless, the tool segments the whole image, apparently ignoring the
mask. Does anyone knows why? Is there something wrong in the source files or
the formats?

The details of the data are:

Base image: GeoTiff 3 band satellite image of Sentinel 2 program. Float32.
954x1337. WGS84 UTM Zone 30N. 14,60 MB. The original satellite image was
downloaded and its bands separated using the OTB tool in QGIS "Split Image".
The 3 bands of interest were concatenated with "Image concatenation" of the
OTB tool in QGIS.

Mask raster: GeoTiff with 1 band. Float 32. 954x1337. WGS84 UTM Zone 30N.
4.87 MB. The mask has been created as follows: Using the segmentation of the
whole image (the one that works fine), a vector layer was created,
dissolving the polygons of interest in one big polygon (Until this point
everything in QGIS). That vector layer was rasterized in ArcGIS, then
reclassified to have only values of 10 and -99. Finally, that raster was
transformed from the original int8 format to float32 using the Float tool in
the 3D Analyst in ArcGIS.

Segmentation parameters: Meanshift segmentation of OTB in QGIS. All
parameters set to default. Mask image loaded the previously described file.
Tiles size: 2048 (I increased the memory in case that could be the problem
but no).

I'm running QGIS 2.18.9. GDAL/OGR 2.2.0, on x64 Windows 10 Pro. Processor
Intel Core i7-4790 K 4 GHz. 32 GB Ram.

Hope I made myself clear and someone can help me. Thanks a lot in advance.

Felipe