[Qgis-user] QGIS Input Form for PostGIS

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Aug 9 01:28:11 PDT 2017

Hi Jakob,

Thank you for this additional information. With this at hand, I am
cc'ing Matthias and Nyall - both of them much more knowledgeable about
the internals of QGIS with respect to relations and PostgreSQL.

I know that Matthias is working on improving the performance of
relations and their corresponding relation widgets - but I am not sure
if the work is only in the master branch (QGIS 3.x) or already in 2.18.
@Matthias can you please have a look at this thread and comment?

The table sizes you mention are perhaps larger than average, but QGIS
should be able to handle them. If not, I consider it a bug or an issue.

If you have the opportunity to test the same setup in a QGIS 3 nightly,
I would be interested if the situation improved over QGIS 2.18. You can
get the latest QGIS 2.99 (3x) version by running the OSGEO4W installer
(see http://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#windows) and
choosing qgis-dev. This can be installed in parallel with 2.18 on a
production system.

If you want something that works NOW with 2.18 - it may be worth testing
the "Data Driven Input Mask" that Bernhard mentioned. This should do all
the "heavy" stuff definitely in the database, and not on the client. See
http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/DataDrivenInputMask/

I hope that Matthias and/or Nyall can comment more on the issue.

Andreas